Residence permit extension

Extension for further studies

As you have a residence permit and will continue studying after your permit expires, you must apply to extend it before your current permit expires. Apply no earlier than 6 months before your current permit expires.

The application process is the same as for the first time, you need to provide all the required documents. After completing the application, you must wait for a response on the basis of which you will have to book the appointment for the photo and signature. After two weeks, your new residence permit will be ready. If you have changed your address, then you can pick up the document yourself. If the address remains unchanged, then you can send the document by mail.

You are entitled to stay in Sweden while the extension application is being processed. However, if you leave Sweden during this process, you must return before your current residence permit expires or be prepared to wait for your decision outside of Sweden. Please pay attention to this when you are planning your travels.

The Migration Agency requires that you leave your biometric data (i.e. fingerprints and photograph) for each new residence permit card that is issued. The biometric data are only stored on the card’s chip and not saved anywhere else. For this reason, it is necessary to be fingerprinted and photographed each time you renew your residence permit card.

Find out how to extend your permit at the Swedish Migration Agency website.

Internship extension for Swedish Institute Scholarship Holders

The Swedish Institute offers students studying in a 1-year master’s program the opportunity to take an additional 6-months of internship after graduation. To be admitted to this internship, the student’s average score must be good and the place where the student will take the internship must be related to his/her speciality. Every year 15-20 places are given for internships by the Swedish Institute.

SI will email 1-year master’s program students directly in January or February for information on the start of the internship application and give you time to apply by the end of March. The results usually are announced within 3 weeks after the application deadline.

If you are the winner of a scholarship extension for an internship, you will continue to receive a monthly stipend for the duration of your internship.

Although the Swedish Institute gives the main advantage to students who are going to do an internship in Sweden, it is possible to take advantage of this opportunity in other countries, but it is recommended to contact SI to find out if there is a change in the subject that year.

Extension after completed studies

If you have a residence permit for studies in higher education in Sweden and have completed your studies you can get a residence permit to seek employment or explore the possibilities of starting your own business in Sweden.

To get the permit you need to acquire all possible credits (60 or 120 for masters) and should provide your ladok result or a letter from the university (if thesis grade has not been added to ladok yet) to prove it.

A financial statement that expresses a necessary amount that you can support yourself during the time of permit (usually 12 months) is one of the primary requirements. The amount as of 1 January 2021 is SEK 8,568 per month. It should be rechecked every year as if it has changed. 

All other documents and procedures are the same as applying for an extension for the regular residence permit mentioned above.

For more information, you can have a look at the Swedish Migration Agency’s official website.

After you submit your application, you can book an appointment (before the decision on your case has been made by the agency) through this link for the photo and fingerprints.




Do You want to become a part of our family?

fill out the form and keep in touch